Publications 2016 (PDF 80K)
Presentations 2016 (PDF 78K)
Curriculum Vitae 2016 (PDF 54K)
- Some Articles and Other Materials (PDF or online)
- A Brāhmī-Manichaean-Hybrid Script. (PDF 3.5MB) Orientalia Lovaniensia Periodica 14, p.293-312. Some points are now outdated. The new signs ḏ, ḡ, z are still plausibly from Man. but ś̱, ṣ̱, ḻ are not. The Turkic Brāhmī tradition is much later than the Tq or Toch traditions.
- Tumshuqese Transcriptions. (PDF 2.7MB) Unpublished typescript of transcriptions with commentary of the Tumshuqese materials known at that time. 71 pages.
- A Tumshuqese and Tocharian Word of Measure. (PDF 336KB) Tocharian and Indo-European Studies 1, p.59-62.
- Kushan Tarim Domination. (PDF 3.2MB) Central Asiatic Journal 32, p.170-192. Argues the plausibility of Kushan political control of what is today part of Xinjiang, despite the absence of direct Chinese statements on the issue from the first two centuries AD.
- Penalty Clauses in Tumshuqese, Khotanese and the Shanshan Prakrit. (PDF 788KB) Studia Iranica 17, p. 147-152. Similarities in the structure of contracts in Khotanese and Prakrit aid in the decipherment of the Tumshuqese language.
- Old Turkic ‘b’ and ‘p’. (PDF 1.8MB) in: Klaus Sagaster, editor, in collaboration with Helmut Eimer. Religious and Lay Symbolism in the Altaic World and Other Papers. Proceedings of the 27th Meeting of the Permanent International Altaistic Conference, Walberberg, Federal Republic of Germany, June 12th to 17th, 1984. Otto Harrassowitz: Wiesbaden. p.130-146.
- Brāhmī, online in Encyclopaedia Iranica at iranica.com. Identical to the print version: Brāhmī. in: E. Yarshater, ed., Encyclopaedia Iranica, Vol. IV, Fasc. 4. Routledge & Kegan Paul: New York. p.432-433.
- 1990 (unpublished)
- Prakrit Administration at Tumshuq (PDF 304K) Text of paper read at the 33rd ICANAS, by Richard N. Frye, July 1990. [On 6 December 2011, I accidentally learned that this was published in 1992 and translated into Bulgarian in 2003 (see Publications)]
- Tumshuqese reṣṭh-: Khotanese *hīṣṭ- send (PDF 96K) Journal of Turkish Studies 16 [=Richard Nelson Frye Festschrift I. Essays presented to Richard Nelson Frye on his Seventieth Birthday by his Colleagues and Students] 1992, 91-95. This PDF version was generated in 2003 from the MSWord document submitted to the journal and is identical in content to the published version.
- The Kuchean Hymn in Manichean Script (PDF 11.3MB) Tocharian and Indo-European Studies 6, 1993, 95-132. (An oral Manichean hymn in the B-Tokharian language recorded in two Manichean script versions. One scribe used Old Turkic, the other Middle Persian orthography. Comments on Kuchean metrics and phonology.)
- Tusagatsait 5, September 1994 (PDF 112K) The last newsletter published as Inuktitut Linguist in the Northwest Territories.
- The Special Status of Turfan (PDF 740K) Sino-Platonic Papers 186, March 2009. Based on a talk "More than Twenty Languages in the Medieval Turfan Silk Road Oasis. What Made It So Special?" given August 20, 2008, at the Munk Centre, University of Toronto, sponsored by Central Asian Studies and Linguistics. (An earlier draft was available here.)
- Aramaic Script Derivatives in Central Eurasia. (PDF 820K) Sino-Platonic Papers 198, February 2010. 18p. Script genealogy chart and descriptions of 44 writing systems.
- Review of: Empires of the Silk Road: A History of Central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the Present. Christopher I. Beckwith. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009. Journal of the American Oriental Society 130.4, p. 654–658. (PDF 311K)
- Review of: Variation and Change in Tocharian B: Leiden Studies in Indo-European, vol. 15. By Michaël Peyrot. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2008. Journal of the American Oriental Society 132.3, p. 508–512. (PDF 472K)
- Review of: Instrumenta Tocharica Melanie Malzahn (ed.). Heidelberg: Universitätsverlag Winter, 2007. Tocharian and Indo-European Studies 13, p. 277-290. (PDF 572K)
- Meter in the Old Khotanese Book of Zambasta Ars Metrica 2014/11, 43 p. online pdf. (PDF 766K)
- Review of: West Old Turkic: Turkic Loanwords in Hungarian. András Róna-Tas and Árpad Berta†. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz Verlag, 2011. Journal of the American Oriental Society 135.3, p. 633-637. (PDF 65K)
- Contracted Diphthongs in Old Khotanese (Brill Online) Indo-Iranian Journal 58.4, p. 293–324
- tt in Old Khotanese (e-access) Journal of the American Oriental Society 135.4, p. 293–324.
- Review of: Emil Sieg: Tocharologica. Selected Writings on Tocharian. Edited and introduced by Georges-Jean Pinault and Michaël Peyrot. Monographien zur Indischen Archäologie, Kunst und Philologie, vol. 22. Bremen: Hempen, 2014. Journal of the American Oriental Society 136.1, p. 171-172. (PDF 41K)
Last updated 22 June 2016