Windows Download for Keyboards by Language:
Follow the instructions below to install your language keyboard for Windows from http://www.languagegeek.com:
Windows - How to Install Keyboards:
Right click your mouse on the link above for your language and click on 'Save link as...'
The link will open explorer with a .zip file to save to your Downloads folder
Click on 'Save' button.
At the bottom of your web browser, you may get a message that the file cannot be downloaded securely. Click on the down arrow and then click on 'Keep'.
Once the file is downloaded, click on the down arrow and then click on 'Show in folder'.
Windows explorer opens to the 'xxx_win.zip' folder.
Right click on the folder and click on 'Extract all...'
Click on 'Extract' button.
A new windows explorer will open.
Click on the 'setup.exe' file.
You may get a message popup.
Click on 'More info'.
Click on 'Run anyway' button that appears at the bottom.
You may get another confirmation message:
Do you want to allow this application that comes from an unknown publisher?
Click on 'Yes'.
(This message may not immediately appear on your screen, instead it might be a blinking shield icon in your system tray near your clock.)
The Installation Complete window will open.
Click on 'Close' button.
You MUST Restart your computer.
Using the Windows Keyboard
There are two ways to change (toggle) between your Keyboards:
1 - Click on the Keyboard Input option, 'ENG US' or 'ENG CAD' next to the Time and Date in your Taskbar.
2 - Click on the Windows key and the space bar to bring up your Keyboards.
Keep holding the Windows key and press the space bar to move between the keyboards.
The highlighted Keyboard is the one you are using.
Once you have selected your language keyboard, use the Keyboard cheat sheets below to type the diacritics.
Windows Keyboard Layouts - PDF cheat sheets
Click on your language to view/print the keyboard shortcuts:
Keyboard Apps for iPhone and iPad:
Mac - How to Install First Voices Keyboard on a Mac Computer
- Copy the following Keyboard to your Downloads folder
- Open your Downloads folder in Finder and Copy the following file from Folder: ‘Downloads/fvyukon.keylayoutʼ - Right click and Copy the file
- In ‘Finder’
- Click on ‘Go’ in the top menu
- Click on ‘Go to Folder…’
- Enter: ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts/
- Click on ‘Go’ button
- The Keyboard Layout Folder will open
- Paste the Keyboard file into the folder
- Restart your computer
- Open System Preferences >Language and Region. Click the Keyboard Preferences button at the bottom.
- Click the Input Sources tab at the top.
- Click the + (plus) sign at the bottom left to ‘add a keyboard layout’.
- Select Others in the left-side pane, this should display a list of keyboard layouts which includes the one you are looking to activate. Select the keyboard you want and click add ‘FV Yukon’.
- The keyboard is now ready to use.
Click on the Canadian flag at the top of your screen.
Select the keyboard layout ʼFV Yukonʼ from the list.
- Start Pages, Word or a text editor document.
- Click on the Input Menu icon (the little keyboard or flag) in the upper-right corner of the screen and select FV Yukon from the list that is displayed.
- Type an "a", then the left square bracket "[" and you should see "á".
- Type an "a", then a semi-colon ";" and you should see "ą".
Install FirstVoices for Windows
F) Quick Test
- Start WordPad
- Change the language from EN to CA if necessary.
- Change the font to Cambria or Calibri.
- Press in the CapsLock key.
- Type the letter a, then type the left square bracket . You should see á (a-acute).
For complete typing instructions go to the How To Type page and/or consult the Yukon Keyboard Layouts pdf.